Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Gestures, Selfish Acts, Refraining from Thinking Pragmatically, and Feeling Better About Oneself: When Conservatives Act With a Liberal Mindset

Every time someone allows the perfect to be the enemy of the good, they do the cause they espouse damage,
writes Christopher Cook.
It has been credibly estimated that when the Bush drunk-driving story broke on the weekend before the 2000 election, some four to eight million evangelicals stayed home. Rather than stopping to think clearly about what a Gore presidency would mean in its totality, they just picked up their marbles and went home over that one issue. They were thinking more about their personal status vis-a-vis sin than they were the good of the country. They were thinking, I can't support someone who would sin in that way. I judge his actions to be sinful. My vote would be an endorsement of such behavior. How would that look for me before God? I, me, my. Me me me.

No comments: