Following the surprise tweet
of America's Ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell
, regarding the Claas Relotius scandal
with, of all things, a David's Medienkritik collage
the sister blog of No Pasarán, which had lain dormant for years on end, announces that, after 10 years in der vilterness
, it is back in business — and richly welcome its return is.
adds that in
a nutshell, the Relotius lies and fabrications reflected
exactly the American boogeyman that has been sold to Germans for years
now. We even put together a list of these stereotypes in 2008 - THIS IS NOTHING NEW - and they are still current today if you simply replace the word "Bush" with Trump".
Stereotypes most favored by Spiegel staff include:
In fact, the reason that Mr. Relotius was not caught sooner
is because his absurd contortion of reality was NOT absurd to his
editors - it was a precise reflection of the "ugly America" that they
have constructed and come to demand in an effort to maximize profit and
keep readers supplied with their regular fix of resentment.
- Americans are overbearing war-mongers bent on global domination who
falsely claim they are spreading democracy when they are just spreading
McDonalds and trying to control more oil fields
- Americans are heartless purveyors of capitalism, neglect the poor, and reject social safety nets
- Americans are trying to spread their superficial bubble gum, Disney,
Hollywood culture worldwide to the detriment of all indigenous peoples -
including even the Germans
- Americans are xenophobic racists
- Americans are blindly patriotic, flag waving, USA-chanting, mind-numbed robots
- Americans are militaristic gun nuts - everyone outside New York and Washington is packing machine guns
- Americans are obese fast-food gluttons
- Americans are hyper-religious Bible-thumping zealots who reject European humanism
- Americans don't care about the rest of the world or the environment (if only they could be environmental champions like the Germans!)
- Every current and recent military conflict involving the United States = Vietnam = quagmire = defeat
- The death penalty - did we mention the death penalty?
- Guantanamo - can we still talk about Guantanamo???
And to offer all the evidence you might ever need, Medienkritk provides a link to its complete Spiegel archive