Thursday, November 24, 2011

French Female Journalist Fondled and Beaten on Cairo's Tahrir Square (VIDEO)

In the latest frightening incident for a female reporter in Egypt during the Arab Spring, one that lasted 45 minutes, a French female journalist was beaten, had various parts of her clothing torn off, and was sexually attacked on Cairo's Tahrir Square, reports Le Monde. Update: Another reporter, "Egyptian-American journalist Mona Eltahawy[,] said she [also] was sexually assaulted [although not by the protesters but] by police during hours under detention"!
A reporter from the television channel France 3 said that she had been severely beaten and sexually assaulted on Thursday November 24 in Cairo, where she was reporting from. Caroline Sinz and his cameraman, Salah Agrab, began to be aggressed in a street leading from Tahrir Square to the Interior Ministry, where the most violent clashes between demonstrators and security forces have taken place in recent days.
"We were filming in the Mohammed Mahmoud Street when we were attacked by teens 14 or 15 years old," she said, referring to "fondling". The journalist and her cameraman were then forced by a group of men to Tahrir Square where they found themselves separated.

"We were then attacked by a crowd of men. I was beaten by a pack of young people and adults who ripped off my clothes" and engaged in the type of fondling responding "to the definition of rape," she said. "Some people tried to help me, to no avail. I was lynched. It took about three quarters of an hour, until I was pulled out of the crowd. I thought I would die," she said, adding that the cameraman had also been" beaten up."

Finally rescued, she was able to reach her hotel, where she was assisted by the Embassy of France in Cairo before consulting a doctor.

As for Mona Eltahawy (or el-Tahawy), the Egyptian-American journalist said that
she was sexually assaulted by police during hours under detention after taking part in protests on the sprawling square that has become a landmark of the Arab Spring.

"Besides beating me, the dogs of (central security forces) subjected me to the worst sexual assault ever," Eltahawy said on her Twitter account.

"5 or 6 surrounded me, groped and prodded my breasts, grabbed my genital area and I lost count how many hands tried to get into my trousers," she said.




Lara Logan sur la place Tahrir au Caire, quelques instants avant son
agression, le 11 février 2011, jour du départ de Hosni Moubarak.

No comments: